Fwd: Re: Microsoft in bed with the devil

Christian Heller christian.heller at tuxtax.de
Don Mar 15 16:15:31 CET 2001

Subject: Re: Microsoft in bed with the devil
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:46:21 -0500
From: Wayne Wilson <wwilson at umich.edu>
To: openhealth-list at minoru-development.com

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=43258

> Silicon ~ silicon.com - the who, what, when, where and why of ebusiness.url

The article states that Microsoft will  have something for Linux to run .NET
enabled applications.

Since I had just finished off this weeks Network World print mag, which as
 near as I can tell was .NET evangelism cover to cover, with the possible
 exception of the interview with Dave Winer (initiator of SOAP), I had
 already read this statement.

My take on it:

  Microsoft needs to crush java, and they need to do it fast and furious.
Putting .NET on linux is part of that strategy.  Linux is still the platform
for hordes of C and C++ programmers, but MS will have to make .NET libraries
compatible with GNU gcc in order for this to work.  Another brilliant move,
and maybe the one they will make, would be to contribute C# to the gcc suite.

--
Kind regards,
Christian

http://www.openemed.org